Thursday, July 27, 2006

In need of therapy

Remote management is something I'll never miss. Aside from the obvious frustrations of being detached from the reality of the beneficiaries and the projects, remotely managing a team is challenging to say the least.



The local team and I have just spent two days barely touching the surface of a whole host of concerns. Everything from toilets not being clean enough and drivers not turning on the air-conditioning for certain members to staff, to personality clashes and issues of non-compliance.

Working through such concerns is challenging in a normal context. But this is magnified when you add a cultural and linguistic divide and you take into account that pretty much all I have to go on are individuals' testimonies and my instinct. It's painstakingly protracted and riddled with potential for misunderstanding.

Today's cultural blunders included:
  • Using a hand gesture to encourage an animated speaker to lower the volume of his voice, which was likened to gesturing an animal and therefore very disrespectful.
  • Inadvertently sitting ahead of someone who was at the flip chart while I'd pulled my chair up to the conference table, which indicated that I did not respect him.

And those are just the ones someone's pointed out; There were probably more. Were I living in Iraq I'd be making such cultural blunders day in day out I'm sure so I guess I should be grateful that remote management means these are confined to once or twice a month.

It leaves you feeling woefully inept and powerless. Anyway, we stumble on...

No comments: