Thursday, September 28, 2006

Ramadan is great!

So Ramadan is well underway. The shops and cafes are shut most of the day, the Ministries are barely open, staff are working shorter hours, I can't eat or drink in public, and the traffic is a nightmare before and after dusk. But I'm beginning to see the benefits.

Whereas last year the kids setting off bangers with an unrelenting vigour drove me so insane I actually bought the remaining stock of bangers from the corner shop as a preventative measure, this year the neighbours keep knocking on my door and bringing me fresh cooked food at dusk! It's great and I'm wondering if it'll continue throughout Ramadan!

This home delivery service has also meant I've met and spoken with two veiled Kuwaiti women in the last week. Which is rare. For me anyway. Add this to the veiled Kuwaiti woman whose car I jumped started the previous week, and my interactions with veiled Kuwaiti women has increased from 0 to 3!

Right, I'm off to eat my free food!

No comments: